Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gingerbread Scones

I'm not crazy about donuts, but I have recently discovered I like scones. ;) This is a fun gift idea, found in Scrapbook Magazine, a Better Homes and Garden Test Kitchen recipe, with a few healthy additives by me.

3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used 3/4 cup wheat flour)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup shortening
(I have heard so many bad things about shortening lately, so I used 1/4 cup shortening and then 1/2 cup of butter as a substitute.)

1. Large bowl combine dry ingredients, then cut in shortening(butter). Divide flour mixture into three 1 pint glass jars if doing for gifts. Last up to a month.

2. To make: Empty jar into bowl. In small bowl combine 1 beaten egg, 2 Tablespoons milk, and 1 Tablespoon molasses. Add mixture to flour mixture until moist.

3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead 10 or 12 strokes, nearly smooth. Pat or roll to 6 inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges, brush with milk, top with sugar. 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with milk, hot chocolate. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment